SQL SERVER – Disadvantages (Problems) of Triggers
August 7, 2013 § 1 Comment
SQL SERVER – Disadvantages (Problems) of Triggers – Pinal Dave
One of my team member asked me should I use triggers or stored procedure. Both of them has its usage and needs. I just basically told him few issues with triggers. This is small note about our discussion.
Disadvantages(Problems) of Triggers
- It is easy to view table relationships , constraints, indexes, stored procedure in database but triggers are difficult to view.
- Triggers execute invisible to client-application application. They are not visible or can be traced in debugging code.
- It is hard to follow their logic as it they can be fired before or after the database insert/update happens.
- It is easy to forget about triggers and if there is no documentation it will be difficult to figure out for new developers for their existence.
- Triggers run every time when the database fields are updated and it is overhead on system. It makes system run slower.
I do not use triggers. In my whole career I am able to get my work done using Stored Procedures instead of Triggers. (Implementation and Architecture changes are required if either of is to be used to support business logic).